We run regular classes in early dance repertoire including Baroque, Regency and Victorian dances. See our timetable for more details.
Historical Dance Classes & Courses in Autumn 2023
- 21 September 19:00 – 20:30 Free Historical Dance Taster @The Quaker Meeting House (7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh EH1 2JL)
Courses with the Edinburgh Adult Education Programme
in the beautiful 19th-century ballroom of the Inch House (225 Gilmerton Road, Edinburgh, EH16 5UF)
30 Sep – 2 Dec (fortnightly) 11:00 – 13:00 Dancing through the Scottish Enlightenment
- 7 October 11:00 – 14:00 Country Dances around the World
20:00 – 21:30 Tuesdays (fortnightly) Historical Dance Classes on the following dates 26 September, 10 & 24 October, 7 November @Holy Trinity Church Hall (6 Albert Pl, Stirling FK8 2RG)
We are happy to organise a themed dance workshop designed for your event or venue. All our workshops are based on research in dance and social history. Some examples are below.
- Dancing with the Prince – Edinburgh Dance traditions from the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie and Jacobite Rebellion
- Dancing with the Queen – Dancing from the time of Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I.
- Romance of Dance.
- Dirty Dancing through Time
- Dancing with Georgians – Dance tradition in Edinburgh Assemblies at the Age of Enlightenment
- The Queen’s dance master – Dances taught to Queen Victoria and her family while they stayed in Balmoral
Historical dance performances
Are you interested in enriching your visitors’ or guests’ experience with a historical dance performance? All our programmes are accurately researched, always connected with venue history or event theme and often include much more than dance. Examples of our previous programmes:
- Easter in the Palace: Nymphs and Shepherds.
- Dancing with John Hope, botanist.
- Charles II, James II, and Holyrood.
- Auld Alliance: Dances from Scotland and France
Talks about dance and social history
We are always happy to talk about dance and social rituals associated with it. Some of the previous lectures we prepared:
- Dances in Scotland and Russia at the time of Princess Dashkova
- Georgian delights: How Edinburgh residents entertained themselves in Georgian times.
- Walking tour: Stories from the History of Edinburgh Stage.
Would you like your wedding to be set in your favourite era or period drama style? We are happy to help you to learn a wedding dance inspired by the special epoch or period dramas such as Jane Austin, Duchess, Poldark, Gone with the Wind etc.
Early Dance experience
Always dreamed of swirling in a waltz like Princes Sissi, dancing a minuet like Marie-Antoinette or maybe volta-ing around like Queen Elizabeth I? We can organise an individual lesson tailored to your taste, sometimes including the period costume hire. Contact us for more details.